Monthly Archives: May 2016
Remember these 10 things for your wedding day!
Your wedding day is one of the most important days of your life. You have planned this day for months, maybe even years! You have planned everything from what every member of the bridal party is wearing to what you will all be eating and what your wedding favours are.
We all hope for lovely weather, and that everything runs smoothly. However, with a little bit of extra planning you can be sure that your day will be amazing even if it should pour with rain!
Here are my top ten tips for things you might like to remember for your wedding day that you might not have thought of, but might help if something like the weather isn’t as nice as you hoped.
- Bring umbrellas for the bridal party! If it should rain, and you would like outdoors photos, or even just to get you to the venue dry. It is always worth planning a nice umbrella that will look good with your outfits.
- If you would like outdoors photos in the rain, also consider buying some wellies as this will save your precious wedding shoes. Maybe you could coordinate the colour with your umbrella!
- Make sure someone in the bridal party and/or grooms party has a copy of mobile numbers for your wedding suppliers to hand. This is vital, should something unexpected happen and you need to contact them!
- Keep a small bag ready that has any top up makeup/tissues/cash just in case you need it.
- If you want a gorgeous confetti shot after your ceremony, either buy some to give out, or make sure that you ask your guests to bring some (bubbles can also work well if you have younger children at your wedding).
- Remember to take your time at all points of your wedding, not only will this help with your nerves, and keep you calmer, it will also help your photographer catch those important moments for you.
- If the day looks like it might be sunny, it is a good idea to pop on some sun screen before you put your wedding clothes on, you will likely be outside for some of the time during the day and sun screen will help you not get sun burn.
- Now for the obvious one! The rings! Make sure the person responsible for them has them tucked away safely. Thankfully this has not been a problem at any f the weddings I have photographed yet!
- Do not forget to eat and drink yourself. If you want to enjoy your day you will need to make sure you eat and drink to keep yourself going.
- Lastly, and one of the most important is to enjoy your day. It will be a whirlwind, so make sure that you enjoy as much of it as you can. If things go wrong, do not worry! Very few weddings go without a small hitch or two, but these are what make your day, your day, everything will work out (it always does). Relax, take your day as it comes knowing that you have done everything you can to make it just perfect (hitches and all).
Finally, and not on my list is breathe! Don’t forget to breathe and enjoy what will be the most special day of your life!
I hope this blog post has helped a few of you.
Please do feel free to get in contact if you would like a chat about your own wedding or to book a free wedding consultation.
Based in Bognor Regis, West Sussex, and available for wedding photography over the South Coast of England.
You can find some of my sample work and information about wedding photography here.
10 wedding tips to ask your photographer.
So, you are getting married. Firstly congratulations! This is an amazing time in your life, full of excitement and love. It is, however, very easy to get carried away with everything and forget some of the important things you might need to ask the people you are employing.
You likely have a whole host of different companies or individuals who you are employing to help your day be perfect and run without a hitch. Hopefully one of these people will be your wedding photographer (why you should definitely have a wedding photographer is something I will cover another time).
When you are planning your day, your photographer will likely be one of the people you will want to arrange quite early (as we do get booked up quite quickly). When you are looking around here are my top 10 things to ask/find out about your potential photographer.
- Can you see sample wedding photos they have taken? This is very important as it is the only way you will be able to see their work in print, and ensure that you like their style.
- Can you meet them for a free wedding consultation? It is really important that you meet to have a chat and see if you like your wedding photographer, you will spend a long time with them on your wedding day, and if you do not like the way they work or their personality, this can make it uncomfortable.
- Are they insured? All wedding photographers should have special wedding indemnity insurance, this covers them in the event of any unexpected problems. Should their equipment have a total failure, should a memory card not work when trying to retrieve the images, should they have an accident or medical emergency just before the wedding.
- How much is your first payment for their services? When you sign their contract you will likely be charged a percentage of your bill, so that they can hold your date in their diary. For me this is 50%, but all photographers ask for different amounts to do this.
- When will the remainder of the price of your photography need to be paid by? This will again vary from photographer to photographer. With me this is 4 weeks before the date of your wedding.
- Are any monies you have paid refundable or not? There may be a set time where you may get all or some of the money paid back should you wish to cancel. Most will keep a percentage or the full amount once a certain time before the wedding passes as they would have no chance of rebooking another couple in for the date.
- What is included in the price of your wedding photography? Are there any photobooks or prints included? Or will you be receiving all the edited images on disc or USB? If you have a preference for disc or USB now would be the time to ask, some new technology does not have disc readers, in this case you are better off with a USB!
- Do you bring spare equipment on the day? Any wedding photographer who is worth employing will always say yes to this! We all hope that nothing will happen to any item of equipment on the day, but things can and do happen! I always shoot with at least 2 cameras, and I have a selection of lenses plus 2 flash units, this means that should anything fail I have a backup. And YES! It has happened to me! One of my two cameras has failed half way through a wedding before! However, having my back up camera with me meant that I was able to carry on seamlessly and the bride and groom were none the wiser (which is very important as any extra stress on the day is not what anyone wants).
- Can you work from a list of photos that we want? Yes, most photographers will ask you if you have a set list of shots that you would like. Group shots are usually the ones people give us lists for. Some couples like a ‘go with the flow’ feel to the group shots and take the day as it comes, others like to know that we are getting specific shots, both ways are completely fine and catered for.
- Do you backup the photos of our wedding? This is something which should be standard. As soon as I get home from a wedding I get all the images off the memory cards, and on to our external hard drives, these are then backed up to another external hard drive as well, and I will keep the images on the memory cards (usually) until I have fully edited all your images (I would rather be paranoid and ensure your images are safe, than risk losing a single one of them!)
I hope this post helps anyone who is in the planning stages of their wedding. The most important thing you can do is to ask as many questions as you need, no questions are silly or will be laughed at, if it is important to you, then it should also be important to your photographer.Good luck with your wedding and most of all, have fun in the process!If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.
Over the last few weeks we have been a hive of activity, updating the existing website www.wendyhudsonphotography.com This website is the place to go if you would like to see family photography, newborn photography, baby photography, cake smash photography and my wedding work. Based in the town of Bognor Regis, West Sussex.
We have also been making a brand new shiney website for fitness photography www.whfitnessphotography.co.uk this is where you will find all my fitness photography photoshoots from now on. Again based in Bognor Regis, West Sussex.
Do pop over and have a look, and let me know what you think.